Subject: Re: PS/2 Mouse vs. Serial Mouse
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/15/1996 22:35:47
In Message <Pine.NEB.3.93.960813120243.379N-100000@cynic.portal.ca> ,
   Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca> wrote:

=>
=>What's the current state of the PS/2 mouse driver in current? Is
=>it working ok these days? I take it it translates PS/2 mouse codes
=>into Microsoft codes for the X server?

   It has been working with no problems for me for quite a while.
And yes, the pms driver provides a bus mouse interface.

=>Also, is it possible to use a PS/2 mouse on a serial port? I've
=>seen mini-DIN to 9-pin D adapters in shops.

   It has been a while, but I have used those. I believe the result
is a Microsoft serial mouse. Given a choice, I'd certainly use the
PS/2 mouse port and the pms driver.

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computing Arts