Subject: Re: PS/2 Mouse vs. Serial Mouse
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/15/1996 15:44:13
On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Curt Sampson wrote:

> What's the current state of the PS/2 mouse driver in current? Is
> it working ok these days?

I've had some trouble with it, or rather with the mouse interfering with
proper operation of the keyboard.  I was unable to spend sufficient
time on it to even generate a problem report, and indeed it might be
hardware-specific problem.

> I take it it translates PS/2 mouse codes
> into Microsoft codes for the X server?

No, but XFree86 handles the PS/2 mouse protocol just fine.

> Also, is it possible to use a PS/2 mouse on a serial port? I've
> seen mini-DIN to 9-pin D adapters in shops.

I don't know; with at least some mice this is possible (I have a Logitech
MouseMan CR32 3-button mouse that can be used this way).  I've never
bothered to look into mouse electronics in general.

--scott