Subject: Re: i386 interrupt counters
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/15/1996 21:08:39
	Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu> said:

>> I'd say "no" to that.  8-)
>
> "Interrupt line" counters have _some_ device to be associated with,
> it's just a question of which one.  The problem with doing them with
> the current code is that you can't have multiple distinctly-named
> interrupt counters per device.
>
> In "my little world," the right thing is to e.g. have ISA IRQ lines
> associated with their bus, i.e.:
>
> 	isa0 irq 0

Cool!
At last, I've understood why you take it so seriously that device uses
multiple interrupt line. :-)

> 	isa0 irq 1
>
> etc.
>
> That opens the possibility for multiple ISA busses in a given machine

How about this (on i386) ?

	mainbus0 irq 0
	mainbus0 irq 1
		:

Theoretically, it is possible that devices which are attached on
different buses (eg. pci0 and pci1, pci0 and eisa0) share same
interrupt line. Though I don't know whether such a machine really
exists or not.
--
soda@sra.co.jp		Software Research Associates, Inc., Japan
(Noriyuki Soda)		   software tools and technology group