Subject: Re: LILO FUNCTIONALITY FOR NETBSD
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1996 22:45:44
>	Hello NetBSDers.  We are going to be migrating our dual-boot PC labs from
>Linux to NetBSD.  One of the "nice" features of the Linux installation was
>that the boot loader (LILO) would let users type: dos to boot dos and
>"unix" to boot Linux.
>All of the boot loaders that I'm aware of that load NetBSD, autoboot,
>bteasy, etc. use either a numerical digit or a function key to select which
>partition gets booted.  My question is:

OS-BS at least let you "name" the one you booted, so on boot you could
say something like:

1 - DOS
2 - Unix

(or whatever).

If that isn't politically feasable, I believe if you just have LILO
do the regular DOS boot magic on the NetBSD partition, the NetBSD boot
blocks will take over.  I don't know if LILO will still let you type "unix"
at the boot prompt for that, though.

Seems that maybe hacking on one of the other boot loaders to do what you
want might be easier - A boot loader is one of the most OS-specific things
that exist :-)

--Ken