Subject: Re: Adaptec 1542
To: Nick Loman <nick@csosl.co.uk>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/12/1996 09:22:34
>I've got an Adaptec 1542 running on an ISA bus in a 486/33. When I installed NetBSD 1.1 I had to r
emove 4mb of memory bringing it down to 16mb to make the adapter function reliably. Are there any w
ays I can upgrade to 32mb or more without buying a machine with a 32-bit bus?

(You need to configure whatever it is you send mail with to wrap at 72
columns or so...)

With NetBSD, you need a 32-bit bus-mastering controller to use more
than 16MB of memory.  An alternative is to go completely IDE, since
that doesn't (currently) do bus-mastering.  That really isn't a very
good alternative, though.

If you want to keep most of what you have, 486 PCI motherboards are
dirt cheap these days.  You could get one of those, and an NCR 53c810
SCSI controller for propbably about $150 altogether (speaking American
dollers here, of course).  You could stick an AMD 5x86 133MHz in there
in a few months when you save up some more cash, too.

Your final alternative would be to run an OS that has bounce buffer
support, such as FreeBSD.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.