Subject: Re: install could use some static binaries
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/07/1996 14:47:14
On Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:35:52 -0700 (PDT)
 Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

 > Having to kill an install script and restarting it, in order to change
 > editors from a non-present vi to ed is not going to make anyone any
 > friends.  Specially if it invovles rebooting from slow console media
 > like tk50s or tu58s. Ugh.

[ snippet from CoolInstallScript.sh ]

# Set the EDITOR environment variable
if [ -x /usr/bin/vi ]; then
	EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi
elif [ -x /bin/ed ]; then
	EDITOR=/bin/ed
else
	echo "Can't find an editor!" 1>&2
	exit 1
fi

echo "Setting EDITOR to ${EDITOR}"
export EDITOR

[ end snippet ]

Just a SMOP in the install script.  (No, the one I wrote for the MI
miniroot doesn't do this ... I just include vi in the miniroot :-)

 > Or if that's too gross or confusing, how about changing install
 > scripts to check for the presence of vi, and if not found,
 > setting EDITOR=ed in install scripts?

Oh, heh ... I guess I should finish reading the message before I reply :-)

Anyow, I (obviously) like putting the smarts in the install script better
than I like having a fake "vi"...

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --