Subject: Re: P6 Natoma chipset
To: None <laine@morningstar.com, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Shao Ai Wu <m-sw2360@HAPPY.CS.NYU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/07/1996 10:44:36
>>I have the Supermicro Dual Pentium Pro (DNF) motherboard
>>that you mentioned.  It's working great!  I did not install
>>NetBSD on my new machine but Linux, FreeBSD, and OS/2 Warp.
>>The hardware configuration is as the follow:
>>    1. Supermicro DNF motherboard (dual pentium) 1 200 Mhz CPU
>>    2. 32 Mbyte 60ns EDO.
>>    3. Adaptec 2940UW (OEM for Supermicro)
>>    4. Metrox graphic card.
>
>We also have 3 SNFs (same as DNF but with no support circuitry for the
>2nd CPU) with 128MB and 2940UWs hooked to striped dual Seagate 15150Ws
>(4.3GB per). One motherboard is still in the box, but the other two have
>been running NetBSD in a production environment for about a month with
>no problems. They are definitely much faster than P5-166s (an example
>compile went from 908 seconds down to under 500 seconds).
>
>As with another respondent, we've noticed that memory write times are
>actually *slower* than a P5-166, while read times are twice as fast.

I did not benchmark the system so I don't know what the numbers are.
Did you enabled 60ns DRAM timing (it's default to 70ns), and caches?
Also try to play around with the DRAM refresh timings and see if it
helps.

I also notice that there is a BIOS upgrade for DNF, SNF motherboards.
They claimed the boot block codes were changed (you need to upgrade the
BIOS chip).  Check out they web site at www.supermicro.com; this BIOS
upgrade is in their FAQs.

>>You may want to buy the DNE model of the motherboard; it's
>>newer and it's a BABY size.  DNF is a FULL size motherboard
>>.  The only advantage for DNF is that you can fit any full
>>length add-on card to it without any problem.
>
>Wish I'd known about the DNE when we got our SNFs. It's a real pain
>finding cabinets they can fit into. Does the DNE also have 8 RAM
>sockets? Same number of PCI slots (4)?

The [S|D]NE models are new designs.  They have 6 RAM sockets
instead of 8.  4 PCI slots, and 3 ISA slots instead of 4.
The only concern with the DNE motherboards is that you may not
be able to fit any long add-on cards to the system. Perhaps,
it's not a problem since there are not that many full-length
expension boards around.

Regards,

Shao Wu.