Subject: Re: ttermcap [was re: pcvt problems]
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@stieltjes.smc.univie.ac.at>
From: Robin Carey <r.carey@dcs.napier.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/06/1996 16:51:30
On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Dieter Baron wrote:

> In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960806095442.8450D-100000@artemis> you wrote:
> : On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> : I don't know much about terminfo, but have played with termcap(3,5).
> : I think termcap is a good system.
> :
> : Wouldn't an easy solution to this problem be to add a new function to the
> : termcap interface, which allows one to measure the size of a termcap entry
> : keyed by the name of the terminal type. Thus, instead of giving a termcap
> [...]
> : Increasing the buffer to 4K doesn't seem like a good idea to me, as this
> : would probably mean that the same problem would occur again , sometime in
> : the future ...
> :
> : If anyone thinks this is a good idea or has other ideas about this, let
> : me know, as I was thinking about fixing/re-writing termcap for my own
> : reasons.
>
> take a look at the gnu version of termcap, in it you can pass a NULL
> pointer as buffer arument and have the routine allocate an approriate
> buffer.  this is, i think, the way to go.

Yeh I've seen GNU termcap ...
It doesn't appear to be very well written though ... :(

Yep this is a good way to do it and solves the problem. I myself would
prefer both facilities; being able to suck in a chunk of allocated
termcap entry, or finding out the size of the termcap entry via a termcap
interface and then filling up a (non-allocated) buffer... clearly having
the latter allows one to implement the former.