Subject: Re: install could use some static binaries
To: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/04/1996 23:58:33
> Perhaps ed is easier for some; I've administered UNIX systems for 10 years
> and all the systems I use have full screen editors :-)

Anybody who's ever administered an ULTRIX (or DEC OSF/1, until
recently) box knows why you need to know ed...  8-)

What do you do if you don't know what the console terminal type should
be?  (NetBSD/Alpha uses "sun"!  and what does "pc3" really mean,
anyway?  8-)  Better yet, what do you do if the terminal really is
dumb, i.e. provides no emulation at all?

The latter was true for ULTRIX and (if i recall) old versions of DEC
OSF/1...  (there was/is a way to clear the screen, but, well, let's
just say that ... it's not intuitive.)

chris