Subject: Re: Physical memory tests?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/03/1996 14:53:37
>>Uhm, you have to have ECC *memory* before ECC on the motherboard
>>chipset is going to do anything at all for you...  I would bet money
>>you don't have ECC memory if you didn't specifically buy ECC memory
>>for that motherboard.

>An excellent point.  In fact both the memory and the machines
>were a donation from Intel. I have no _idea_ what they gave;
>just that  the memory I got doesn't work :)

>Besides, at 64 bits wide, ECC memory doesn't require any more bits
>than parity....

Are you sure?  I was under the impression that it required one or two
extra bits.  But, I'm no expert on the subject...  I just know ECC
SIMMs are a lot more expensive than "normal" SIMMs.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.