Subject: Re: Physical memory tests?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/03/1996 13:44:23
>>FYI, there is a chipset from Intel that supports ECC.  Some motherboards
>>that use it also have the support.  I think it's called "Triton-II" on the
>>streets.

>In fact the machine with the memory problem _does_ have a Triton-II
>chipset. Or at least, that's how Linux reports it.  NetBSD doesn't
[...]
>I don't know if the mboard I have supports ECC. If it did, surely it
>should inform sw of correctable errors.  I didn't notice anything in
>NetBSD that supports such notification on x86 machines....  then
>again, I'm a relative neophyte here. Is there support for this that
>I'm overlooking?

Uhm, you have to have ECC *memory* before ECC on the motherboard
chipset is going to do anything at all for you...  I would bet money
you don't have ECC memory if you didn't specifically buy ECC memory
for that motherboard.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.