Subject: Re: ttermcap [was re: pcvt problems]
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/02/1996 09:09:21
>From the keyboard of Jonathan Stone:

> I should have make it clear that my primary interest is in
> internetworking.  Even a late-1980s telnet can and does automagically
> propagate a TERMCAP string --one *I* can specify -- from my local
> machine to anywhere I choose to telnet.  I don't know any good way to
> do this with terminfo.  If there was a way to do this, I'd be happier
> with terminfo.

Then why not untic the terminfo entry, run it thru a terminfo-to-termcap
converter and put it in the environment ?

> If someone wanted to add the ability to parse and use TERMCAP
> environment variables to terminfo, I'd probably be happy to use it.
> The compiler-based terminfo design doesn't seem to make that easily
> doable without burying a termcap-to-terminfo translator *and* a
> terminfo compiler into the terminfo library.

A termcap-to-terminfo converter is available, a terminfo-to-termcap
converter not that i know of. But why should they be part of the lib ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis    HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH    Hamburg, Europe
             "If you can read usenet you can read the FM" (nigel@theplanet.net)