Subject: Re: ttermcap [was re: pcvt problems]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/01/1996 15:27:55
> Is a hashed-termcap-databse-with-4k-buffer completely out of the question?
> Would termcap strings longer than bytes break too many other termcap
> libraries?  Unless it's a transient error, the existing pcvt entry seems
> to suggest not...

In investigating this bug, I discovered that some tgetent() implementations
simply overflow the buffer (like ours did), and others truncate the entry at
1024 chars.  Some in the latter category quietly succeed, while others print
a warning message and return failure.

The "compatibility" tgetent() functions provided with terminfo, seem to
ignore the buffer completely.

	--jtc