Subject: Re: pcvt problems
To: None <hm@hcs.de>
From: Thorsten Lockert <tholo@SigmaSoft.COM>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/30/1996 13:17:39
> Hmmm, i really don't know what to think about this. It is correct, that
> there is _much_ software out there which has a hardcoded 1024 byte limit
> for a termcap entry. But a termcap entry can be much larger than 1024
> bytes. So - is there a 1024 size limit for termcap entries specified
> somewhere ?

Yes, it has "always" been a standard that termcap entries should fit inside
a 1024 byte buffer.  Indeed, most systems also document that as the size of
the buffer you should pass to tgetent() for it to store the termcap entry
in.

> Don't misunderstand me. I just want a clean solution. If there is a limit
> of 1024 bytes per entry specified somewhere (implicit or explicit), pcvt's
> termcap entry should be stripped down to 1024 bytes.

Indeed, as should all other entries that might be more than 1024 bytes.
The alternative would be to start using terminfo instead, where such a
limit does not exist, and many more features can be described.

Thorsten
--
Thorsten Lockert        | postmaster@sigmasoft.com | Universe, n.:
1238B Page Street       | hostmaster@sigmasoft.com |         The problem.