Subject: Re: multiport serial cards
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathaniel D. Daw <ndd2@columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/25/1996 14:37:33
Nathaniel D. Daw wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive NetBSD compatible multiport
> serial card? I see three brands supported in the config, but I'm not
> familiar with any of them or whether there are inexpensive generic
> equivalents, and so on. Does anyone have any experience or advice on
> this? Thanks very much.

Just a little more information about what I need -- I'm looking for
about 6 serial ports in total, so an 8-16 port RISC card is probably
overkill. A 4-port card would be fine assuming I can use it in
conjunction with my two motherboard ports (is this possible, for
instance, with the BOCA?). Also, I need to be able to use the ports for
dialins and dialouts, so I would need full modem signals on all the
ports (including RTS/CTS and CD). I understand this is not possible with
some or all of the cheap 4-port cards. Does anyone have hard data about
which ones?
--
..nathaniel daw......................................ndd2@columbia.edu..
 .ok soda may be the preferred drink of other people, such as yourself.