Subject: None
To: Glenn E Durfee <gdurf+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/21/1996 00:56:06
>Has anybody given thought to adding SMP (Symmetric MultiProcessing) to
>to NetBSD/i386?  Any idea of how big of a task this would be?
>I'd be willing to volunteer some effort in that direction.

I don't know if anyone has seriously dug into *doing* anything about
it on NetBSD yet.  Your first task might be to talk to the FreeBSD
people, and see what info (and source code) they can provide.  They do
have a functioning (though still proto-typish) SMP kernel in
development.  It would also help if you had a solid understanding of
the internal workings of an SMP kernel, process/thread synchronization
methods, etc.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.