Subject: Re: hardware compatibility
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: None <mika@cs.caltech.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/1996 22:21:58
Jonathan Stone writes:

>Michael VanLoon writes:
>
>>The 3c595 is supposed to work in current.  I don't know how stable or
>>high performance it is.  Mika?
>
>ttcp shows 25 Mbits/second TCP throughput between linux 2.0.x boxes,
>23Mbits/sec from NetBSD->Linux, and 36Mbits/second for
>NetBSD 1.2A  -> Linux 2.0.7.

For what it's worth,

I just did some informal tests with "tcpspray" (linux application
running binary-emulated on NetBSD 1.1B), and this is what I get
with the same hardware as you between two NetBSD hosts

(66)timpani:~>tcpspray -b 2000 -n 8000 lute

Transmitted 16000000 bytes in 4.211959 seconds (3709.675 kbytes/s)

Only (?) about 30 Mbps between two unloaded hosts (but running multi-user
on a network with some traffic, etc..)

Oh, and I don't think the Linux version I mentioned in my earlier
message was one of the latest--a pretty late Linux 1.x kernel, I
would think.

Nevertheless, the performance is good enough that NFS is almost
indistinguishable from local disks. Faster, in some cases, if one
is to trust iozone.

-Mika