Subject: Re: hardware compatibility
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@morningstar.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/16/1996 07:08:03
On Mon, 15 Jul 1996 10:58:32 GMT, ndd2@columbia.edu ("Nathaniel D. Daw")
wrote:

>4) I'm sick of the NCR driver. Going to try an Adaptec. I see Adaptec
>2940 is supported. Does that include the 2940U and the 2940W? (SCSI-II
>and SCSI-III respectively.) What about the 3940 models?

We are using Adaptec 2940UWs (Ultra Wide) and they work great. I'm not
sure about the 3940, although I heard that it works on FreeBSD, so it
should work on NetBSD.

>5) SMC EtherPower PCI 10Base-T/100Base-T. Do we only support the older,
>10Base-T version of the card? What about the 3C595TX 10/100 model?

We are also using these cards, and get ftp throughput of nearly
7Mbytes/sec between hosts on the same subnet. UDP performance is right
up at 10Mbytes/sec. A few of these machine have multiple EtherPower
10/100s, and it handles that fine too.