Subject: Re: hardware compatibility
To: Nathaniel D. Daw <ndd2@columbia.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/1996 23:16:14

http://www.asus.com.tw/  Why not ask ASUS themselves?

>4) I'm sick of the NCR driver. Going to try an Adaptec. I see Adaptec
>2940 is supported. Does that include the 2940U and the 2940W? (SCSI-II
>and SCSI-III respectively.) What about the 3940 models?

NetBSD supports both the Adaptec and BusLogic SCSI controllers, in
addition to the NCR.

The BusLogic driver is less troublesome (I hesitate to say "more
stable", because the Adaptec driver seems to work OK if you can get it
to boot).  The BusLogic driver is mature and stable, though less
optimized than the current Adaptec driver.

The Adaptec and the latest Adaptec controllers have the potential to
be quicker because of lower SCSI command overhead.  But there are
still some stability problems in certain cases (like I said: from what
I've read, either it works or it doesn't -- if it works, you shouldn't
have problems); most people seem to be happy with the stability,
however.

Although the difference can be measured through certain benchmarks,
whether you will be able to see the performance difference between the
BusLogic and Adaptec on anything other than really top-end drives
remains to be determined.  I will perform this test myself in the near
future (meaning next couple of weeks some time) if nobody else steps
up.

>5) SMC EtherPower PCI 10Base-T/100Base-T. Do we only support the older,
>10Base-T version of the card? What about the 3C595TX 10/100 model?

The SMC card with the DEC chip on it (sorry, don't know the model
numbers -- someone who knows can pitch in) are currently supposed to
be the best.

The 3c595 is supposed to work in current.  I don't know how stable or
high performance it is.  Mika?

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.