Subject: Re: APC ups monitor?
To: John Utz <jutz@atvideo.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/1996 23:21:21
>	The folks at APC *sell* monitor software for there ups. Has
>anybody had any experience hacking up a perlscript ( or whatever ) that
>visits the serial port and listens to what the ups has to say? The APC-ups
>software only comes for NT, AS/400, vines, netware, etc, so buying the
>software is out of the question.

If you already bought a UPS, this isn't the answer you want to hear.
Buy a BEST UPS.  APC is totally closed, and will only tell you how to
program to their UPS if you fork over cash.  BEST gives the
programming specs away for free (I even heard that they are now giving
away a CD with source code on it if you ask for it -- I haven't
personally verified this, however).

>	it would be nice to get something smart enuf to halt the machine,
>but i would be ecstatic just to get something that announces a power
>glitch, so i can log the dang thing.

If you're having that many problems, it's almost certainly hardware.

BTW, you said you're in Redmond, WA?  Assuming you don't already have
a sweet deal through your employer, are you interested in a good
opportunity on Internet Access (no this isn't commercial)?  See
http://www.spi.net/.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.