Subject: hardware compatibility
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathaniel D. Daw <ndd2@columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/1996 06:58:32
I am in the midst of putting together a shopping list for a new
computer, and I had several questions about hardware compatibility.

1) There was some indication on this list that the Soundblaster 16 might
be able to do full-duplex: real, simultaneous playback and record using
two DMA channels. It's cheaper than the GUS, and if this is possible
(even if the NetBSD drivers don't yet support it) I would go for it. Has
it been confirmed?

2) If not, which of the current GUS cards is the one to get? There was
traffic recently about the GUS PnP; did anyone ever get it to work?

3) Anyone know the difference between the Asus P55T2P4 and the XP55T2P4?
Do I care?

4) I'm sick of the NCR driver. Going to try an Adaptec. I see Adaptec
2940 is supported. Does that include the 2940U and the 2940W? (SCSI-II
and SCSI-III respectively.) What about the 3940 models?

5) SMC EtherPower PCI 10Base-T/100Base-T. Do we only support the older,
10Base-T version of the card? What about the 3C595TX 10/100 model?

--
..nathaniel daw......................................ndd2@columbia.edu..
 .ok soda may be the preferred drink of other people, such as yourself.