Subject: Re: -current (1.2A-960626) snapshot available
To: None <jmc@pobox.com>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/12/1996 22:38:24
>It works with FreeBSD because they hacked it in. Violating abstraction layers
>doesn't seem to be a big worry of theirs.

Please, no slurs.  Remeber where the driver came from...

The main reason that its an EISA device is because it required less code
and didn't require me to write an ISA front end to it.  FreeBSD's ISA code
is a nightmare.  When FreeBSD has a better configuration scheme in place,
it probably will have an ISA front end for dealing with the 2842.

>Sometime soon hopefully someone should just add a VLB bus type like eisa,
>isa,etc and then it would work fairly easily.

I don't think it should have its own bus type since I don't think you can
detect that you have one.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations