Subject: I want to buy a modem; what works with NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Kennedy <robert@Theory.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/11/1996 15:38:58
I am currently running NetBSD 1.1 on my 486DX2-66 system, and I want
to upgrade from my current 9600 baud external modem. I'm interested in
either a 28.8 or a 33.6 modem, probably internal. I have a few
questions:

1) Are any modems available to fit PCI slots? I know this isn't a
   NetBSD question, but it's sort of related to the others:
2) Do I need to avoid Plug-n-Play modems for use with NetBSD?
3) If I get a Plug-n-Play modem, how should I go about setting it up
   to work with NetBSD?
4) Any models known to work particularly well with NetBSD?
5) Any models known to lose particularly badly with NetBSD?
6) My main board currently gives me com0 and com1. If I get an
   internal modem, will it use one of the existing two com devices, or
   will it give me, e.g., com2? I assume the latter, but I just want
   to make sure.
7) What other questions should I be asking? What are the answers?

	-- Robert