Subject: GUS PnP and Evergreen 586 Update
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/1996 23:00:55
   Well, I have my hardware installed, and while the Evergreen CPU
upgrade is running along nicely, the GUS PnP isn't. As far as I
can tell, the problem is that the standard GUS PnP doesn't have
any RAM on board, so it isn't really compatible with the classic
GUS cards.  The GUS PnP Pro has 512K RAM included, so presumably
won't have this problem. I could get a RAM upgrade and hopefully
fix it that way, but I'd like to see if I can get it running as it
is. I'll be looking at the NetBSD code, some newer FreeBSD code,
and what documentation I can get and see what I can do.
   As for the Evergreen 586/133 that I picked up, it turns out that
that model is an AMD 5x86, whereas I believe the 586/120 is a Cyrix,
which is what I was expecting. But I have it overclocked to
4x40=160Mhz, and it is running along rather nicely. It is a noticable
improvement over my i486DX/2-66, and it installed without any
problems at all in my DECpc MTE.

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computing Arts