Subject: Re: install problems with pci
To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/1996 10:50:56
Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu> writes:

> By the way, the geometry on the disk is 1023 cylinders, 128 heads, 32
> sectors, but Conner's web page gives the geometry for the AV versions
> of the 2107 drive as 4016 cylinders, 10 heads, 69-124 sectors.  What
> should I use once I get past the device configuration problems?

Normally, you need <= 1024 total cylinders if you wish to share the drive
with other OS's.  What I would do is use the false info, (1023, 128, 32)
in any case since your disk has variable sectors/track.  NetBSD can't deal
with that.

> During the device scan some of the PCI-related messages are:
>
> pci0 (root): configuration mode 1
> pci0 bus 0 device 0: unknown vendor/product: 0x8086/0x1250
>   (class: bridge, subclass: host, revision 0x01) not configured
> pci0 bus 0 device 16: unknown vendor/product: 0x5333/0x8811
>   (class: display, subclass: VGA, revision 0x43) not configured
> pci0 bus 0 device 18: unknown vendor/product: 0x104b/0x1040
>   (class: mass storage, subclass: SCSI, revision 0x08) not configured

Other than the SCSI card, the rest can be ignored.  IMHO, NetBSD really
should recgonise the other devices, print out a real name with it,
but still not configure it.  FYI,  ``not configured'' really means
``nothing special to do for this device'' -- ignore them in general.