Subject: install problems with pci
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/07/1996 17:13:32
I thought I understood NetBSD pretty well by now, but I guess that is
only because I've been stuck with 486 machines.  Now that I am trying
to install the kcoth11 kernel on a Pentium/PCI machine I am having
difficulties.  Specifically, the configuration code gives device "not
configured" messages (see below for some) and disklabels, files,
etc. cannot be written to the disk.

Configuration: Micron Millenia Plus with Micronics mainboard, Diamond
Stealth 2001 VGA controller, BusLogic BT948 SCSI controller, 3com
Etherlink III, Conner CFP2107SU (now Seagate ST32109N) disk, Plexor
PX-8XCS cdrom.

By the way, the geometry on the disk is 1023 cylinders, 128 heads, 32
sectors, but Conner's web page gives the geometry for the AV versions
of the 2107 drive as 4016 cylinders, 10 heads, 69-124 sectors.  What
should I use once I get past the device configuration problems?

During the device scan some of the PCI-related messages are:

pci0 (root): configuration mode 1
pci0 bus 0 device 0: unknown vendor/product: 0x8086/0x1250
  (class: bridge, subclass: host, revision 0x01) not configured
pci0 bus 0 device 16: unknown vendor/product: 0x5333/0x8811
  (class: display, subclass: VGA, revision 0x43) not configured
pci0 bus 0 device 18: unknown vendor/product: 0x104b/0x1040
  (class: mass storage, subclass: SCSI, revision 0x08) not configured

This occurs whether or not the BIOS is in PnP mode.

This is my first time dealing with a PCI computer, so I am not sure I
understand all the configuration stuff.  I would REALLY like to get
NetBSD up on this box, though, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Brook