Subject: Re: What's this stuff in /sys/arch/i386/stand?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/07/1996 16:29:51
In message <199607072115.PAA01998@lager.beer.org>, Herb Peyerl writes:
>The old stuff didn't care whether the kernel or the bad144 map was
>in the first 1024 cylinders...

Interesting point, but...
I'm hard pressed to think of a case where you would want your kernel >1024
cylinders, yet would have the "old bootblocks" located <1024 cyls.
The most common case where the kernel >1024 cyls would be sharing the
drive with another OS, where the first 1024+ cyls are taken up by that OS.
However, that would also place your bootblocks >1024 cyls, and no boot
manager I know of will get you up there (there may very well be one).

I think if we're standardizing on the boot code in /sys/arch/i386/boot,
we should move it to a standard place; whether that is /sys/arch/i386/stand
or not, I'm not qualified to answer.  The old stuff maybe shouldn't die,
but it should be placed on a web site somewhere for specialized use (i.e.,
people who know what they are doing), and not in the dist.  At bare minimum,
place a README in there.  It's confusing.