Subject: Re: What's this stuff in /sys/arch/i386/stand?
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/07/1996 10:07:57
On Sun, 07 Jul 1996 05:15:38 -0500
 VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com> wrote:

 > wdbootblk.c fdbootblk.c
 > etc.
 >
 > Are those just crufty bits of history?
 > Or do they serve some purpose that /sys/arch/i386/boot doesn't?
 >
 > I notice the dates on them are years old.

They're the "old" boot blocks that had actual drivers for the floppy,
ide, etc. controllers.  One boot block for each supported controller.
You can probably understand why that was Bad (how many SCSI controllers
to we support now? :-)

Julian then did the bios-savvy boot code, which is what appears in
i386/boot.  Arguably, the old stuff should die, and the biosboot code
should be moved to stand/ for consistency with other ports.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --