Subject: Re: Can mount_msdos mount DOS hard drives?
To: Mark Willey <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/05/1996 09:04:56
On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Mark Willey wrote:

.. mount -t msdos /dev/whatever_disk_and_partition /mnt
..
.. Should mount it.  however, the whatever_disk_and_partition argument must be
.. the MSDOS partition described on the NetBSD disklabel on that hard disk.
.. What this means is that you need to disklabel that hard drive.  This is
.. pretty dangerous because you could potentially write over the MSDOS
.. partition information, and make it unusable to MSDOS w/o a reformat.

If you have a one-disk system, you must edit the disklabel as described
in the *BSD FAQ to add a partition covering the DOS area of your disk
and then mount it as described.

If you have an all-DOS disk, NetBSD constructs a fake disk label when
booting. This label contains partitions for each partition on the
DOS disk. One my home system, I have NetBSD on all of wd1 and DOS/Windows
on all of wd0. I can still mount_msdos wd0 from NetBSD. This capability
was added to NetBSD a few months ago and is therefore present in
NetBSD-current including 1.2ALPHA and BETA, but not in a stock 1.1 system.

regards
Erik Bertelsen