Subject: Re: Can mount_msdos mount DOS hard drives?
To: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
From: Mark Willey <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/1996 22:06:09
Paul Apprich writes:

> 	I like the convenience of using mount_msdos to gather the smaller
> tar files, but I am having problems catting the fragment files .I can
> speed up the installation process if I can directly mount an MS-DOS
> hard drive file system  and copy the tar files directly? Can such be done?
> Is there a switch to accomplish this?

mount -t msdos /dev/whatever_disk_and_partition /mnt

Should mount it.  however, the whatever_disk_and_partition argument must be
the MSDOS partition described on the NetBSD disklabel on that hard disk.
What this means is that you need to disklabel that hard drive.  This is
pretty dangerous because you could potentially write over the MSDOS
partition information, and make it unusable to MSDOS w/o a reformat.

See FAQ for more detail.

Mark