Subject: Re: Xserver loses all keboard input with 1.2-beta kernel?
To: None <mail-netbsd-port-i386@carlstedt.se>
From: Jonas Lagerblad <jonas@carlstedt.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/01/1996 13:13:34
In article <199606282257.PAA03614@cup.dsg.stanford.edu>,
Jonathan Stone  <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

>I've set up a nameless P120 running NetBSD 1.2-Beta.  I've recently
>stopped using the pcvt interface and started using X.  I find that
>after a few minutes use, all keyboard events stop.  I've run xev on
>another machine and verified that mouse events are being tracked, but
>key up/down events seem to totally disappear.

I have noticed exactly the same phenomena on some 150Mhz Pentiums that
I maintain. My computers are set up very similar to your, Diamon
Stealth 64 with 4Mb VRAM, 64Mb internal memory, Logitech serial mouse
and Keytronic keyboard. I have noticed that tho hanging has something
to do woth typing rate since it's the fastest typers that is most
often bit by this bug. I have somewhat removed the problem by
switching the keyboards to cheaper keyboards that force the users to
type more slowly :-<.

I have tried switching between pcvt and the standard console driver,
but this doesn't help. I don't think I've tried stopping xdm and
letting users start xdm manually (this is the next option on my list).

I have converted one computer to use FreeBSD instead and on that host
the problems disappeared.

Any other ideas of how to solve this sould be appreciated.

Best regards,

Jonas Lagerblad

--
Jonas Lagerblad, Carlstedt Research & Technology, jonas@carlstedt.se
Phone (office):	+46-31 701 42 61	Mobile:	+46-70 779 7337