Subject: Xserver loses all keboard input with 1.2-beta kernel?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/28/1996 15:57:19
I've set up a nameless P120 running NetBSD 1.2-Beta.  I've recently
stopped using the pcvt interface and started using X.  I find that
after a few minutes use, all keyboard events stop.  I've run xev on
another machine and verified that mouse events are being tracked, but
key up/down events seem to totally disappear.

I've tried switching keyboards to no avail.  Identical hardware works
flawlessly with Linux 1.3.x, and Win95.  I've tried Xfree86 3.1.2
and 3.1.2E, with and without COMPAT_10 (which is used in
i386/isa/pccons.c).

I've also occasionally seen the sw's idea of CAPSLOCK get out of
stepwith the LEDs on the keyboard: capslock is in effect when
the LED is off, and vice-versa.

Killing and restarting the X server (or letting xdm restart it)
causes the keyboard work again.   I haven't seen any such problems
in glass-tty mode.

Some things that may be relevant: I type really. _really__ fast.
Typing more slowly seems to defer the symptoms (but not e.g., long
enough to type as far as youve' read.)

I'm using a Logitech serial  mouse.  If it matters, the video
hardware is a PCI Diamond 64 Stealth with the 220 MHz TI RAMDAC,
and the XF86_S3 server seems to identify the hardware OK.
(The XF86 S3 server works just fine with Linux on identical hardware.)

I can't easily try older kernels, as the NetBSD 1.1 doesn't support
the peripherals on tehse machines  (they came with a 3c595 and a
newish BusLogic PCI scsi controller.)

Needless to say, this makes the console of this machine unusable in X.
Has anyone else seen this or anything similar?  If so, please Cc:
me, as I don't seem to be on the port-i386 anymore.

thanks
--Jonathan Stone