Subject: ELF linux binaries resolved - Virtual if device?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mister Gandalf <mgandalf@cable029028.cable.man.ptd.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/28/1996 00:48:58
Someone from the list (sorry, I forget who) pointed me in the right dire=
ction.
Apparently my version of NetBSD (or more versions, I am running about a =
4-6
day old kernel on a two week old system) has trouble recognizing ELF lin=
ux
binaries from SVR4 ELF binaries. I recompiled my kernel without compat=5F=
SVR4
and it works fine now.

I have another quick question. I have a server setup with a single IP on=
 it
for my use (assigned to ie1). I wish to temporarily assign a second IP t=
o the
same interface (ie1). My first one is 204.186.29.34 and the one I wish t=
attach also is 204.186.29.13.  Now, I use "ifconfig ie1 inet 204.186.29.=
13
alias netmask 255.255.255.0" and I get two errors:

ifconfig: SIOCAFADDR: File exists
<date> <hostname> /netbsd: ie1: device timeout (comes up twice in a row)=

Now, although I still get an error, it seems to work just fine.  Is ther=
e a
better way to assign a second IP to an interface? Maybe some sort of vir=
tual
interface that forwards packets to another interface?

-- Mister Gandalf.

--
              Straight from the FOREVER crashing computer!

                              Mentasm FTP
                           HTTP coming soon!
              A3000, 68040/40mhz, 54megs, 3.1gig, Ethernet

                  CLCHAT SERVER!  us4.clchat.vapor.com

                         Mac, Unix, PC, Amiga