Subject: Re: AHA2740 support?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/1996 14:08:43
>I'm using an equivalent card builtin to an HP NetServer LC.  It reports
>as "Adaptec AIC-7770 SCSI", and supports both channels.  I'm not sure
>if what you have is the exact same, but it *should* be supported.
>One caveat though.. My controller reports "4 SCBs", which will surely
>bite you on the a** with older drives.  The 2740AT might have more SCBs
>though.
>
>-Andrew

The 2742AT only has 4 SCBs too, but the command FIFOs are different
which means you can use SCB paging to get more commands active at once
(you can't on the prior to Rev E aic7770s that are on the non 'A' cards).
There is still some latent bug in the SCB paging code though.  It's
very hard to reproduce unless you have many drives (greater than 8)
since it seems to only happen when you have 30 or more commands pending.
I'm still hunting for that bug.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations