Subject: Re: Modern Sound Cards
To: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
From: Mark Willey <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/1996 13:13:06
Gary D. Duzan writes:

>    Well, from the replies I've seen it seems like the cards being sold
> today aren't supported by NetBSD. So has anyone looked at how difficult
> it would be to write a driver for the GUS PnP? It looks like they have
> altered it significantly, with a new "AMD Interwave(tm) GFA1 DDSP chip".
> I'd be willing (and I believe able) to tackle this if I can get the
> information I'd need and maybe a little support from more experienced
> NetBSD developers. If I get enough feedback, I'll go ahead and order
> the card. Thanks.

Gary and all,

I am planning to dedicate a lot of time to get the Sound Blaster 16
working, with full duplex operation.  If you want to keep in touch w/ me as
you work on the Gravis, I would like that.  (That goes for anyone, BTW.)  I
have decided that I need it bad enough to try it myself.  :)

I have a collection of sound programs, patches, and pointers to information
that I will share with anyone interested.  I have just now tried to contact
the www.flame.org server to sign up on an existing sound project or
register this one, but my proxy doesn't want to let me at it right now...
:(  (Behind corporate firewall...)

I can make all of my data available via WWW at this time from a campus
machine.  The URL is: http://purcell.ecn.purdue.edu/~willey/projects/sb16/

I will collect emails of people who want to keep in touch - just send me
your email, and I will add it to a list that I will distribute to the list
of people interested.  In the fall, I will have my machine back on the net
via ethernet and can handle the FTP and majordomo action at that time.

Mark