Subject: Re: Modern Sound Cards
To: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/1996 09:06:48
>   Well, from the replies I've seen it seems like the cards being sold
>today aren't supported by NetBSD. So has anyone looked at how difficult
>it would be to write a driver for the GUS PnP? It looks like they have
>altered it significantly, with a new "AMD Interwave(tm) GFA1 DDSP chip".
>I'd be willing (and I believe able) to tackle this if I can get the
>information I'd need and maybe a little support from more experienced
>NetBSD developers. If I get enough feedback, I'll go ahead and order
>the card. Thanks.

I'm interested (especially since I did the initial work on the GUS driver).

I was under the impression that the only difference between the PnP and
the old GUS was the "Plug and Pray" stuff.  However, I could be very wrong
in that :-)

Gravis Ultrasound gave you a free SDK and documentation on how to program
their card.  Their tech support people even gave helpful information on
tips on programming the card (even after I mentioned I was using Unix).
I have no idea if that still holds true for their recent card, however.

If you get docs on how the card works, I'll be glad to help.  One person you
might ask is Amancio Hasty (hasty@netcom.com), because I think he did some
work in this area for FreeBSD.

--Ken