Subject: RELEASE REQUEST
To: None <core@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/1996 09:31:19
	Hello core team members.  I'd like to congratulate you on your fine work with
the NetBSD operating system.  At the same time, I'd like to make a release
request for the port-i386 release of 1.2.  Would you please make sure that
you fix the generic install kernel such that  setting an SMC Ethernet card
to 0x300 doesn't cause the card to get clobbered by the combination of the
other device probes that occur during boot.  We are very interested in
using NetBSD on our campus Athena system, but I am having trouble
convincing my fellow release engineer that NetBSD is an easy-to-use system
and worth installing because every time he sits down to do an install, I
end up warning him that he's about to walk into some install trap from
which he wil have trouble escaping.  The latest one was the SMC probe
snafu.  So, if this could be fixed in the next release, he'll actually be
able to install and use the OS and might begin to appreciate NetBSD's many
benefits.

Many thanks.
-Brian <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>