Subject: Re: 1.2 features, again
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/1996 22:29:46
> Not to my knowledge, no.  I think Greg Hudson had something for
> this, but it turned out to cause deadlocks.

No.  What I had a fix for was that if you mmap() a file MAP_PRIVATE,
and then msync() the memory region, the shadow objects for that region
do *not* get looked at and you might still get out-of-date cached
data.  This is why you can't fix the vi problem, for example, with a
simple msync().  (Of course, I don't know if there's any reason why vi
couldn't do a MAP_SHARED.)

The fix was to walk the shadow chain of each object during an msync(),
but that apparently caused deadlocks.

I don't know anything much about the swap leakage problem.