Subject: Re: Sounds Cards
To: None <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/1996 15:50:19

[I wrote:]
>>Yes, full duplex is nice.  AFAIK, right now the only full duplex card
>>with support for full duplex in its driver is the GUS.  The WSS driver
>>could easily support it, but it's broken.  Soundblaster 16 and 32AWE
>>support full duplex, but the sb driver doesn't support that yet.
>
>Errr, does the current GUS driver really support full-duplex?  Hell, I
>didn't think record worked!

Well, at least the GUS driver lets you *configure* a second DRQ, which
is more than the WSS or SB drivers can do. :-)

Has anyone ever thought of adding a member to the isa_attach_args
structure (and /sys/dev/isa/files.isa, and ...) for a second DRQ?

>(I'm pretty sure it doesn't on the base GUS - might on the GUS MAX, though).

AFAIK the AD1848 support doesn't work right, which would preclude
16-bit recording on the GUS or any recording on the GUS MAX.  That's
probably my own fault, since it's my employer's @#$&! part, and I know
(far too well <shudder>) how it works.  But I never did figure out how
to track what was going wrong inside the kernel, and I eventually gave
up on it.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>