Subject: Re: Sounds Cards
To: None <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/1996 10:52:08
>From: Mark Willey <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
>Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 11:38:22 -0500 (EST)

>Gary, one thing that just came to mind to me is that if you want to do
>"Internet Phone" type of stuff (any two-way communication, actually) then
>you should get what's called a "full duplex" card.  I think it requires 2x
>the # of interrupts and/or DMA channels, but will be worth it if that's in
>your plans.  The only one I can think of is the GUS, but the PAS may also
>work...  I know that SB does not have this - it is "half duplex".

Yes, full duplex is nice.  AFAIK, right now the only full duplex card
with support for full duplex in its driver is the GUS.  The WSS driver
could easily support it, but it's broken.  Soundblaster 16 and 32AWE
support full duplex, but the sb driver doesn't support that yet.

I haven't had the time (nor the will) to work on audio drivers
lately.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>