Subject: Re: poor performances on cyrix 6x86
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@IRA.UKA.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/1996 17:14:13
Hi,

> I plugged the pentium on the Asus Teck, and re-did the tests
> (with the same drive). This doesn't change significally the results.
>
> I did'nt make any tests on 16bits apps (I don't have time to loose installing
> windoze), but on 32 bits apps, the pentium is clearly better than the 6x86,
> from 7%  for double precision computations, 25% for integer
> computations, to 60% for computations involving arrays. The only points where
> the cyrix is better is on a test using the stack (for a recurcive computation).
>
> The 6x86P150+ should be called "6x86P100-" :)

Are you sure that the caches are recognized and set the same with
both processors? If I remember correctly, a German computer magazine
recently tested the performance of both, and the Cyrix perfomed like
advertised. I have to check again to be sure, though.

I _think_ they tested both, 16-bit (Windows) and 32-Bit (Windows NT, Linux)
performance.

  Guenther