Subject: Re: Serial brokeness.
To: None <neil@domino.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/1996 15:43:32
Quoting Neil J. McRae,

> > If the first speed you set the terminal port to is 9600
> > nothing will happen, any other speed works.
> > I've sent a PR about this, but I've not seen a fix yet.
> >
> Yup that fixed it. Charles any idea on a fix for this?

9600 bps is the default speed. In comparam(), there is a check
if the speed is actually changing, and if so, it is written out
to the serial chip. The first time, what will happen is that
the tty structure already contains 9600 for the speed, but it
hasn't actually been programmed into the serial chip yet. The code
thinks it's already been set, and skips the actual port outb calls
to do it, leaving the speed to whatever it was, but with the tty
system thinking it's 9600.

It should be easy to fix.

- Frank