Subject: Re: Sound Card problems.
To: Mark Willey <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
From: Jack Patton <jpatton@intserv.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/24/1996 19:24:01
On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Mark Willey wrote:

> Yeah, I have just been catting .au to /dev/audio.  I have the mixer utility
> that a NetBSD user wrote somewhere around, but have pretty much just been
> trying to get it to play via the /dev/audio method.

 I hacked up a version of xmixer to work under NetBSD with my VIBRA16
(Soundsblaster-16). Some of the stuff is still broken in it, but the
volume sliders do actually work while I am catting an .au to /dev/audio.
 Also the mic works as well, although there's scarce documentation, so I
don't know how to get it to record. I also haven't been able to test the
CD-ROM player portion of the program due to the fact that my Matsushita
CD drive is not supported in NetBSD. Can someone PLEASE incorporate
FreeBSD's matcd driver? I gave it a shot but I am not too clued in at
porting device drivers.

> If you have any suggestions on which utilities to use to
> play/record/control the audio devices, I'm *all* ears!  ;-)

I also recently applied diffs someone on this list sent me ages ago to
Tracker and it works, albeit with a pop or crackle here and there while
playing .mod files...

If you are interested I can mail you the diffs or something...

Jack