Subject: Re: Sounds Cards
To: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
From: Mark Willey <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/24/1996 11:38:22
Gary D. Duzan writes:

>    I've been seriously considering trying to coax my machine into
> making sounds other than little bleeps and clicks, but I'm a bit
> wary about most of the sound cards out there today, what with the
> PnP mess and so forth. I don't have PnP BIOS or DOS on my machine,
> so that isn't an option. So my question is, what ISA sound cards
> out there perform properly and well on NetBSD systems? In particular,
> an EISA/VESA system from a couple years ago. The main purpose for
> now will be to play sound clips and sound associated with video
> clips and maybe a game sound or two. In the future, though, I might
> want to do some more serious music work with MIDI and so forth.

Gary, one thing that just came to mind to me is that if you want to do
"Internet Phone" type of stuff (any two-way communication, actually) then
you should get what's called a "full duplex" card.  I think it requires 2x
the # of interrupts and/or DMA channels, but will be worth it if that's in
your plans.  The only one I can think of is the GUS, but the PAS may also
work...  I know that SB does not have this - it is "half duplex".

Mark