Subject: Re: Sounds Cards
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1996 22:23:19
On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Gary D. Duzan wrote:

//    I've been seriously considering trying to coax my machine into
// making sounds other than little bleeps and clicks, but I'm a bit
// wary about most of the sound cards out there today, what with the
// PnP mess and so forth. I don't have PnP BIOS or DOS on my machine,
// so that isn't an option. So my question is, what ISA sound cards
// out there perform properly and well on NetBSD systems? In particular,
// an EISA/VESA system from a couple years ago. The main purpose for
// now will be to play sound clips and sound associated with video
// clips and maybe a game sound or two. In the future, though, I might
// want to do some more serious music work with MIDI and so forth.

	I tend to like SoundBlaster(tm) cards.  Since everything wants to
fake SB compatibility anyway, why not get the real thing?  I had an SB16
running 8bit under 1.1, and it worked perfectly.  I ran the same card
16-bit under Linux for a while with similar problems.  I've had better
luck with sound cards under *n[iu]x than I have under DOS (they don't
hang).

--
IPA.net Sysadmin         My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>