Subject: Re: Serial brokeness.
To: Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1996 11:10:33
> on a related note, there is a bad interaction [i.e. bug] between kernel
> printf's and normal serial I/O.    for example, if you put debugging kernel
> printf's in the networking code, and then run "telnet" on the console
> it will print:
>
> clouseau[654]> telnet 128.252.200.1
> Trying 128.252.2<KERNEL PRINTFs APPEAR HERE>
> <console output HANGS here, until you strike a key on the serial console>
> 00.1...
>
> Since strlen("Trying 128.252.2") == 16, I figure there is a 16 byte
> buffer around somewhere.    That leads my guess about the following
> string of events:

This is a "known problem" (or at least, charles and I knew about it
8-), but i don't know if your estimate of the problem is correct.

I believe i've also occasionally seen it lose (multiples of 16)
characters of output on the serial console as well.  That's what
caused me to put the note in the various alpha hardware support web
pages about serial console output being garbled occasionally.  8-)

chris