Subject: Re: Passing BIOS geometry from boot code to kernel
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Matthew B. Wood <devtrix@netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1996 01:18:35

> Would passing the BIOS-reported geometry from the boot code be of any use?

I've never tried it with my NetBSD system, but I recently brought a
junk-box PC on line with an EIDE drive running Linux; this was using a
controller with on-board BIOS, which safely gets it through a DOS boot
without installing some goofy driver.  Of course, sane OSes like your
average Un*x have no trouble with real gemotery, so does it matter?

I remember where a part of the NetBSD INSTALL doc mentioned setting up an
EIDE drive with identical geometry to the way DOS sees it.  Is this
actually critical?  If so, it might be a good idea to offer the user a
choice on getting BIOS-specified geometry.

--
Matthew B. Wood                                              mbwood@netcom.com
             "Psychoplasmics:  The Ultimate Therapeutic Device"