Subject: Re: NetScape colors incorrect
To: None <laine@morningstar.com>
From: Gregory S. Halbrook <gsh@iti.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1996 13:04:00

> Michael L. VanLoon writes:
> >
> > >When I run any combination of NetScape 2.02/3.0b4 for BSD386/Linux on a
> > >NetBSD 1.1 release box, the colors come out all wrong - all the reds are
> > >pure blue (I didn't spend enough time comparing to pick out anything
> > >else). When I run NetScape 1.12 for BSD386 on the same machine, the
> > >colors are just fine.
> >
> > Netscape 2.0 for BSDI works perfectly for me.  I have a Mach32 video
> > board.  Maybe it's a bug in the X server for your video card.  I'm
> > running NetBSD-current and XFree86 3.1.2, with the XF86_Mach32 server,
> > of course.
>
> Oh yeah, a detail I left out: The display is actually on another PC
> running Win95 with the X-Win32 server (version 3.2.3) (which always
> advertises itself as having 24 bit color, no matter what the actual
> color depth of the display is). When I run NS 1.12 and 2.02 (both BSDI
> versions) right next to each other, the 2.02 gets the colors all
> wrong. This is the only program I've noticed that gets the colors wrong.
>
> I haven't tried it with a different display - I'll check that out.

I don't know if this is the same thing, but when I first ran netscape it would
"steal" all the colors whenever it was the focus window and all of its colors
would be "robbed" when it wasn't.  I corrected this by running netscape with
the "-install" option which then uses Netscape's installed colormap (see
below).  I'd be interested to know whether or not this helps your particular
problem.

>From the Netscape.ad file:
! Whether Netscape should install a private colormap.  This will cause the
! maximal number of colors to be used, but on most systems, will result in
! unpleasant colormap flashing when switching between applications.  Legal
! options are: Yes, No, and Guess.  "Guess" means "install the colormap only
! if we know that the display hardware supports multiple simultaneous
! colormaps, meaning that there will be no colormap flashing."  Currently,
! that means install the map when displaying on an SGI screen, and don't
! otherwise.  (What other vendors have multiple hardware colormaps, and how
! do you uniquely identify that capability?  Let me know.)
!
--
					Greg.

16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D3F204445524F42snlbxq