Subject: Re: video capture cards
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1996 14:34:36
 > On Fri, 21 Jun 1996 13:51:05 -0500
 >  Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu> wrote:

 >  > We actually ported this driver to NetBSD 1.1_ALPHA back around Feb
 >  > 9th.  It needs contigmalloc() in vm/vm_page.c in order to work ... we
 >  > never resolved how to do this in NetBSD so the driver never made it
 >  > in the tree.  I can send diff's to anyone who is interested in
 >  > re-porting it to -current.
 >
 > Yah, we need to figure out an architecture for allocating contiguous
 > space ... As Chris pointed out to Chuck and I some time ago, the Alpha
 > can do the scatter-gather in hardware, and thus a VM hack isn't
 > necessary.

In the meantime, someone who just wants to get the vid capture card working
can make it go by just declaring an array of the appropriate size inside
the driver.  Not suitable for going into the tree, perhaps, but good enough
for personal use.  With that mod and the usual tweaks to probe and attach,
the freebsd meteor driver pops right in.

Jaime
:  James da Silva  :  UMCP Computer Science Dept  :  Stand on my shoulders,  :
:  jds@cs.umd.edu  :  http://www.cs.umd.edu/~jds  :  not on my toes.         :