Subject: Re: NetScape colors incorrect
To: Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1996 13:54:37
Jim Rees wrote:

[about colormap problem]
> I have the same problem.  Some other apps do the same thing, including an
> older version of xv (haven't tried a newer version).  I'm using the 3.1.2E
> Mach64 version of XF86.  However, this is only a problem in 16 bit mode.  In
> 8 bit mode all is well.

With Netscape, try fiddling with the '-install' and '-no-install'
commndlines options.  Under X 16bit color , you don't have a color
palette so '-install' shouldn't really do anything.  The '-no-install'
option might force Netscape to use the system colors.
With xv, and 16bit color, you need to put it in "24bit mode" via the
'-24' option, or the menu item.  Otherwise it thinks it is in 8bit with
a palette, and hoses.  A friend at work has a Mach32 he uses with 16bit
color everyday, no complaints.

> Another annoying problem with Netscape is that I only get 16 colors on an 8
> bit screen.  Is there some way to fix this?

This is where you want to do 'netscape -install' so it uses a private
colormap.  This will give you the lovely "palette flashing" when you
change windows, but you'll get full color in Netscape.

-Andrew